Thursday, February 28, 2013

Happy 2 Weeks Baby Boy!

Micah is 2 weeks old today! Was it really 2 weeks ago already when our Valentine's Day baby came into this world? Well, on his two week birthday he proved to me that I am the perfect mom for him and my love for him is so strong already that it brings me to tears!
We had his 2 week check up at the clinic today. I expressed my concerns about his acid reflux and how I can hear him spit up and swallow several times after eating and how sometimes when the spit up actually comes out it comes out his nose and mouth causing him to gag and look very scared.
Dr. H. didn't seem too concerned until she measured his head and noticed that his head was measuring off the charts. This, combined with the reflux issue, caused her a little more worry and she wanted to have an ultrasound done on his head to make sure that there wasn't any swelling in the brain. I guess the reflux could have been caused by this if the ventricles in his brain were swollen. Dr. H. continued to reassure me that everything would be okay and we just needed to check to be sure so we could take the correct approach, but when I questioned what we would do if it was an issue with the brain and she said the word 'neurosurgeon' I felt my heart sink. So, off we went to the hospital to have an ultrasound done on his brain.
The whole time I kept praying that Micah is just a boy with a big noggin, like his father! But the unknown and waiting game for results sure tested my ability to stay calm. The whole time I kept swallowing the lump in my throat and blinking away the tears that wanted to come pouring out. I practiced my yoga breathing and knew that whatever the results were, I was being trusted to handle this.
After the ultrasound, we headed back to the clinic to meet with Dr. H. and the results were good! We just have a boy with a big head! Praise God! We are seeing a chiropractor to try to ease the reflux and now have a prescription to try out as well.
Micah and I left the doctor feeling pretty happy and we even had a sticker and a sucker in hand for big sister Elyse. Dr. H. did not forget that Elyse is doing a great job of being a big sister and wanted to make sure she was praised for that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment